A sore throat/cold remedy my family has been using for years, "Golden Milk" is a hot beverage made from milk and turmeric. My husband woke up this morning with a sore throat and I went to the kitchen to brew up a cup of Golden Milk just like my mom would do when I was younger. We used to have this drink before bed whenever we were feeling sick. Golden Milk has many of health benefits, instantly relieves a sore throat, and is very easy to make.
The steaming cup looked so pretty in front our Christmas tree, so I grabbed my Nikon D800e with the 50mm f/1.8 and snapped this photo to share the recipe with you all. Here's what you need to get started on one serving of Golden Milk:
- 1 cup of milk (I used skim milk, but feel free to use any milk of your choice - soy, almond, or coconut milk are great alternatives)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (if you have turmeric root, simply grate the root until you have 1 tsp)
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp chai masala (a mix of ground cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, black pepper & ginger)
- Add the cup of milk to a pot on the stove over medium heat. Mix in the turmeric, honey and chai masala until well incorporated - color should turn yellow. Keep stirring until the milk starts bubbling to a boil, 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the milk.
- Turn off the heat and let the milk sit for a few minutes. Strain the milk into a tea cup or mug. If you like it a little sweeter, add more honey.
- Sip while hot and enjoy the soothing relief.